25 August 2015

Location Clyde Hotel
Date/Time Thursday 25 August 2015
Next Meeting Tuesday 21 September
Hamish Beaumont (HB) (Chair) Catherine Macrae (CM)
Mark Burgman (MB) Tim Thomas (TT)
Max Ueda (MU) Matt Irons (MI)
David McDonald (DM) Shohei Waller (SW)
Tim Hui (TH)
Martine Botha


Agenda Item & Action Item Action By Due Date
1.          General
1.1.     Matt Irons presented notes on HWR dispute (these are available for anyone to read, ask Hamish for a copy). Note
1.2.     Based on Matt’s proposal the committee agreed to accept MUS’s offer. Hamish and TT to write proposition and deliver to MUS before 31st. Proposition will include statement of clubs financial position and ask for a re-examination of original decision to charge for HWR use seeing as the club never had any input into this decision. The proposition will also state that a formal deed of settlement will follow. HB, TT 31 Aug
1.3.     Formal deed of settlement. HB, TT 21 Sep
1.4.     Someone needs to take over the job of booking the HWR. Note
2.          Finances
2.1.     Financial report accepted, Balance per cash book = $5,849 Note
3.          Winter
4.          Summer
4.1.     Seamus Hayes and David Kirszenblat are the new Summer managers Note
4.2.     Seamus & Hamish keen to take teams to state relays. Note
5.          Registrar
5.1.     Need to chase members to get registered before summer competition kicks off Note
5.2.     Social
6.          MB to think about a secondary helper for social secretary. Leigh Goedecke has expressed interest. MB 21 Sep
6.1.     MB requested help to promote the dinner and to help sell tickets. Need to sell at least 180-200 to recover cost. All Ongoing
6.2.     Around 35 tickets sold so far Note
6.3.     Dinner costs over $200 to be brought to committee via email Note Ongoing
6.4.     Other Business
7.          AV are running a three year club capacity program. This is a year long project for MUAC to implement, includes club governance improvement. HB to delegate small bits of work to improve polices. All Ongoing
7.1.     Application to provide skills to women in leadership, can get $8000-$10000 in funding for this. Shohei to draft application and then circulate to group. Hamish to send Sho the details. SW, HB 21 Sep
7.2.     Expanding club workforce. Committee agreed to keep going with the volunteer roster. At the end of winter layout two columns showing who’s helped out and who hasn’t. Note End of Winter
7.3.     Hamish Succession Planning
Four main things MUAC does to build a good relationship with MUS and Melbourne Uni, ordered by significance.


1.     University Games, the way the uni looks at this is basically about winning, each sport gets 1 point if they win something in the year, i.e. if hockey win they get a point, if athletics win they get a point. We are currently a few years behind Sydney in terms of a chance of winning. Goal is to come 2nd over the next few years. Build relationship by promoting and trying to do more to drive success at uni games. Yohan is now managing this.


2.     Elite athletes program is the next biggest thing. The uni loves international competitors. For second level athletes, we want to make sure their teams do well. Melbourne uni advancement (philanthropy) like to hear stories about elite athletes.


3.     Raise the bar academy. Indigenous kids experience at uni. Elite athletes are often used as mentors for this. We just want to do as much as we can to help out with this.


4.     Breadth subject. We supply coaches for fun run (Max does this), connection to 60 or so students good relationship to maintain. Coaches get paid, club gets a little money from it.